The Pope Paul VI award is given to Catholic chartered units who meet certain quality unit criteria for encouraging and supporting the spiritual development of youth in the unit. Catholic chartered units include BSA units chartered by Catholic parishes, Knights of Columbus, Catholic schools and Parent/Teacher groups, etc.
"Cooperation, development, and program are the key words in the recognition of Catholic chartered units in earning the Pope Paul VI unit recognition award. The adult leadership responds to training not only in Scouting lores, but in training in the Catholic Scouter Development, and religious counseling. The Scouts in each Pack, Troop, Team, and Post respond by participating in the religious emblems program respective of their status in Scouting." [NCCS purpose statement]
- two deep leadership with at least one unit leader having completed applicable BSA leader basic training
- one or more registered adults has participated in a training program offered by local, diocesan, regional or national Catholic committee on Scouting
- the unit annually reviews leadership for diocesan adult recognitions
- the unit conducts a service project for its church, parish or diocesan community or chartered organization within the past 12 months
- Religious Emblems
- unit provides annual presentation about religious emblems available to its members
- at least 25% of youth members have or are actively working on the religious emblem appropriate to their levels or ages
- Religious Activities:
- unit participated in a religious activity (e.g. retreat, day of recollection, Catholic event)
- Vocation awareness
- unit participated in an activity focused on church-related vocations within the past 12 months (e.g. chaplain aide training, career day, etc)
- chartered organization representative or unit committee member meets at least annually with a representative of local or diocesan Catholic committee on Scouting
- executive officer of chartered organization, unit committee chairman and council representative review unit program at least once a year
- unit has achieved or is actively working toward BSA Quallity unit awrd
- unit has plans for growth inmembership
- unit annually reviews meaning of its respective oath or promise
Each unit receives a certificate and banner ribbon for the calendar year in which award was earned.
Application is available to be downloaded from NCCS website.
Pope Paul VI Unit Award nomination (PDF)
Completed application and proper fees should be sent before Dec. 15 of the calendar year to:
1105 Galen Dr.
Champaign, IL 61821